Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Wonderful Time with Justice Isagani A. Cruz


There are two reasons why I prefer The Philippine Daily Inquirer over the other broadsheets: its excellent layout and its pool of sensible columnists, my favorite among them is the esteemed Retired Justice Isagani A. Cruz.

I have been following Justice Cruz' Separate Opinion since 2002. Among PDI's columnists, I guess he's the easiest to read. His syntax is perfect the fluidity of his thoughts just breathes blithely through the mental utterance of his written words. His columns traversed from topics touching on the most mundane to the highly royal language of the legal community's mostly controversial issues. His opinion on the most pressing political topics was rightly based on his judgment firmly rooted on his untainted, rich experience in the judiciary. However, my favorites were columns that explored and revealed his character as a doting grandfather; his account of his long lost lovers; and columns on ordinary life that turned into perfect, rare pieces of literature when written in his pen.

I didn't see this day coming so soon. My favorite columnist has just printed his last column on PDI, and needless to say, I am really sad. I'm just as sad as the day when Max Soliven died in Japan, putting an end to his highly syndicated column in The Philippine Star. I remember reading Soliven's retelling of his thousand travels, most of the time name-dropping ambassadors and social elites. The braggadocio in Soliven's writings didn't come offensive at all, probably because it was tempered by his natural charm; something that rarely transmits through print, much in the same likeness to Cruz's congenial personality radiating from his sacred space on PDI's Opinion Page.

So this leaves me a huge dilemma. Which broadsheet do I pick up next Sunday? For sure, I will go aghast over Manila Bulletin's Editorial on senseless matters like The Mooncake Festival Day I chanced upon before -- imagine an editorial for a whaaat? lunar festival, of all things! Also, Alex Magno's column in The Philippine Star does not seem to interest me a bit; maybe it has something to do with his stern-looking picture. I read some of his columns in the past though, and they all carry a similar feel -- heavy topics in heavy narratives. It's going to be a long stand in the newsstand next week!

Justice Cruz ended his Column with this: "It was truly a wonderful time, and I'm sorry it had to end with my failing health."

There is no account as to how serious Justice Cruz' health condition has gone, but I pray that he may be comforted in these trying times. This may seem selfish, but I wish he can still manage to write occassional columns in the days ahead.

Sir Isagani A. Cruz, it has been, indeed, A WONDERFUL TIME!






2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree! I also like them, both Cruz and Soliven(PStar). One of my fave also is Michael Tan of PDI pero minsanan lang din ang column nya..

jaydee said...

Hi rafael. Michael Tan usually writes now for the Sunday Inquirer Magazine. Do i know you, rafael? hehe. :p